Monday, October 15, 2007

MH Marathon Blog Post Response

My thoughts on Marathon Running

This is a reponse to the following Men's Health Blog Post:
http://mhlife.menshealth.com/?cm_mmc=DailyDoseNL-_-2007_10_12-_-MainBlk-_-MH_Life_Blog

In 2002, I ran the Detroit Marathon and finished in just over 4:20. I had a strong sense of accomplishment, but felt like crap for the next 30 days. Over the course of 4 months, I lost strength, actually GAINED two inches on my waistline, and lost 15 scale pounds (not sure about the fat-to-muscle ratio)

Would I run another Marathon? Not on your life. It took over 2 months for me to begin feeling 'normal' again. I wasn't myself for a while. My strength was low, motivation was not the, and no, I don't believe I had post-event depression. My body was tired, depleted, over-trained, etc...

I agree with Adam Campbell's research on the dangers of Marathon running. So my take is not only from the scientific perspective, but also from personal experience.

No comments:

Real before and after shot!

Real before and after shot!
Over 50lbs of fat....GONE!